Wednesday, July 28, 2010

A Study in Neutrals



Honolulu Coffee




I love the balmy evenings on Waikiki Beach. I tagged along on my husband's business trip to Honolulu, and each evening when he was free we would walk down Kalakaua Ave. On this particular walk we stopped in at Honolulu Coffee Co for a cup of wonderful Kona coffee. It was a quiet evening in there, with only this one woman sitting at the window facing the Surfrider Moana Terrace. The hotel is a beautiful old hotel with white columned terraces filled with rocking chairs. The whole mood was mellow and relaxed, and I just had to paint it hoping you capture that mood of the evening.

This painting is a study in using mostly neutrals, which is a huge departure from my usual love of vibrant color. I am happy with the results though, and feel that it is entirely appropriate for that mood of quiet and repose I wanted to evoke.

No comments:

Post a Comment