Monday, February 27, 2012

Back in the Saddle Again!

Street Bustle
18 x 24" pastel

Summer Mist
18 x 24" pastel
I've been away from my studio and painting for three longs months. But there was good reason for this hiatus from my work. The last three months I've spent as much time as I could enjoying my two beautiful grandsons, as well as their mother, my daughter Jamie and husband Berly. You see Jamie and her family are missionaries to youth in the Dominican Republic. They spend four years each term working in the Dominican Republic, and then come home for a year to 18 months raising support in the US for their ministry. This is called itinerating. They visit churches across the western states to tell people about their work.
Late June 2010 Jamie, Berly and thier 15 month old Ethan came home to begin itineration. Nov 2010 little Logan joined his big brother. So for 1 1/2 years my husband and I have been basking in the joy of these two very special grandsons. When November 2011 came around I faced the fact that I only had a few months left to hold them in my arms before they returned to their field of ministry in the Dominican. Such a bittersweet realization. Yes, we want them to be where God wants them to work, but it is so hard to send them off knowing it will be months before we visit them there.
So.....I focused all my time and attention to enjoying the Holidays with my grandsons, as well as my other dear grandchildren who live in Eastern Washington. How the days flew and soon we were watching and waving as they walked through security at SeaTac airport.
Since then there have been "Skype" visits, not quite like holding those boys in my arms and smothering them with Grandma's kisses, but I am so grateful to keep the bonds alive and well.
And now I am back in my studio again! I am feeling a little rusty at first, but the flow is starting to come. My first two paintings......."Street Bustle" and "Summer Mist"!!
Back in the saddle again, but not at all sorry for focusing on two very special little boys for a brief time, a joyful time investing in their little lives. Next time I have them home for an extended time they will be 4 years older!

No comments:

Post a Comment